Here on this blog you'll find me talking about my interest in the resiliance, life and times of those on the Home Front in Britain during WW2! Such a fascinating era.

Monday 4 January 2021

An Interest I've Decided To Share.

Welcome to my blog as I celebrate the life and times of those living on the Home Front during WW2. I'm by no means an expert but just a very enthuisastic lover of reading and learning about this fascinating period of time. I'm not sure where my interest in the period 1939 - 1945 began but I have become keen on learning more about it more recently. I was lucky enough to recieve these wonderful books for Christmas .


I'm also expecting another in the post soon so will share that with you when it arrives.

Whilst the war was being fought overseas 90% of the population were civilians doing their bit for the war effort to a tremendous degree whilst still carrying on with daily life where they could; I have so much admiration for them and also believe we can learn an enormous amount from the things they did to keep the home fires burning. This is my way of remembering all they did and maybe others will find it interesting or even contribute to my ramblings.

I think most people have heard of the terms Make Do And Mend, Dig For Victory along with the spirit of The Blitz but there is so much more to it than that. I hope you'll enjoy me sharing these and so many amazing things that the people of Britain did so that we could be a free nation.

So, I'll be back soon and will be adding more to the content of the blog as I go along. I look forward to anybody commenting on my ramblings! In my next post I hope to share a little about the early preparations which were made even before war was declared.

Bye for now, Lou.


8 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new blog, I'm looking forward to reading it.
    Kind regards,

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this Lou! Fantastic that you’ve decided to blog about it too. I absolutely love the period and one day will hope to dedicate more time to researching about it. Until then, I shall use your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chic. I thought about things and decided this was the best way to indulge my passion and interest when the formal learning didn't work out. Can't wait to get started. X

      Delete
  3. Nice one Lou. It is a really interesting period. My Grandparents lived in a village in Lincolnshire called Fiskerton. Their was a Lancaster Bomber base at the back of their home (a big field inbetween). Nan worked in the NAAFI as a cook. Bought many a young pilot home to get them off base many who sadly did not return. The village Newsagents was still in a Missen Hut until I was about 13 years old (it was though the village was stuck in time). My grandparents also took in two Evacuee sisters as well. We grew up listening to stories of what actually happened. Funnily enough I had my first driving lesson on the old airfield. I am looking forward to reading your posts. Take care Tricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you, Tricia, I'm so excited about getting stuck into it. Also thanks for your lovely, real stories. I was born and raised in Lincolnshire so have always felt particularly proud of Scampton and other sites.

      Delete
  4. My cousin lives in Scampton and he is very into this sort of thing too. We were raised on lots of stories from the War years, some funny, some incredibly sad. We were taught from an early age that this should never be allowed to happen again. In later years the Air Force held a parade at the Church (St Clements) In Fiskerton (our family Church). I was privileged to attend the parade as my Grandmother was classed as one of the seniors of the village. I went with my Dad and the Standard was presented to the village and kept in the Church. It was an emotional service. I was born just outside of Market Rasen (Gainsborough Division of Lincoln in a local Cottage hospital). My family at some point or other have lived all over the county including out of it. We are hoping to go to the Re-enactment weekend if it is on next year at Woodhall Spa. We had planned on going this year until everything went pear shaped. A lovely post and a way to keep things alive and enjoy your passions. Keep up the good work - I still think it is needed. Tricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia, I'm loving it. Lovely to hear about people always remembering and the importance of not forgetting. Did you ever go to The Kinema in the Woods? I was born in Louth but lived near Skegness when I was young before moving away from the area. We used to go to Mablethorpe with Sunday school for a trip in the summer. X

      Delete